A second inquest has confirmed that British singer Amy Winehouse died of excessive alcohol consumption. This is after an earlier inquest in October 2011 was questioned after the deputy coroner in charge of the hearing was found to lack the required experience and qualifications. The same evidence tendered in the first inquiry was also tendered at the latest hearing, which took place at St Pancras’ Coroner’s Court. The court was told that Amy had up to 416mg of alcohol per decilitre of her blood – 5 times more than the normal driving limit 80mg. The excess was what led to her death.
Passing her verdict, Dr Shirley Radcliffe, St Pancras Coroner, said the 27-year old ‘Back to Black’ star died from ‘alcohol toxicity’, adding it was ‘a level of alcohol commonly associated with fatality.’ She said Winehouse ‘voluntarily consumed alcohol’ and added ‘two empty vodka bottles were on the floor’ beside her bed when her body was discovered.
Image credit: PA]