The Dinobots have been confirmed for the upcoming Transformers 4 movie according to an interview Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura gave to Beijing News.
According to rudimentary translation of the text, verified by a few sources, he said, ‘I cannot disclose the specifics, but you can be sure that the arrival of the Dinobots will give the audience a lot to be excited about.’ He also added that they will be featured alongside the ‘coolest, most exciting cars’ including some Chinese models.
The interview gives the rumor some credibility since di Bonaventura confirmed some other known or well-rumored items. The part that makes it a little iffy is that the interview has been taken down and put back up at least once, with some sites claiming there was an image or perhaps text change between the versions.
Some Spoilers Confirmed
Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura went on to speak about some of the other issues around the film that have been the subject of speculation.
The confirmations from him include:
- The setting will be four years after the invasion of Chicago that was shown in the recent Transformers: Dark Of The Moon film.
- Mark Wahlberg’s character Flynn Vincent will serve as a full-fledge inventor instead of just an auto mechanic. He will be a single father to a girl named Tessa, played by Nicola Peltz.
- Tessa is dating a race car driver named Shane, played by Jack Reynor. There will be a Transformer-related conflict between Shane and Flynn.
- Kelsey Grammer has also been confirmed as the evil Harold Attinger.
The Dino Who?
For those not familiar with the Transformer joys of the early 1980s TV show, and subsequent cartoons and comic books, the Dinobots are big, nearly indestructible Transformers that were first built by the Autobots while here on Earth.
These are one of the few subgroups of Transformers that don’t combine to form a larger machine, not only because of their strength but because their introduction pre-dates the combining subgroups that ended up being a big toy success for Hasbro.
The team’s roster may have as many as six members, but only two have been allegedly named in marketing materials and presentations that the Web’s rumor mill has been spreading. The full team includes:
- Grimlock: a Tyrannosaurus Rex who leads the team, has been named specifically in leaks, and was a star of the Fall Of Cybertron video game.
- Slag: the physically and mentally slow second in command Triceratops who has also said to have been named directly.
- Sludge a large Apatosaurus and (with Grimlock and Slag) one of the first three Dinobots.
- Snarl: a Stegosaurus who was created under the direction of Optimus Prime later on in the cartoon series.
- Swoop: a Pteranodon who was created with Snarl and was one of the first Autobots seen to fly.
- And Paddles: an Elasmosaurus that’s only in the comic books.
The Dinobots have come in several different variations from comic books and movies through the TV shows. They were even the basis for the Beast Wars cartoon, though the characters in this cartoon do not appear to have made their way into rumors about the Dinobots.
The group even has a different name in Japan: Dinotrons.
What’s In a (Movie) Name?
According to Superhero Hype, there are four likely contenders for the name of the upcoming Transformers movie. These titles may also be used later on since a leaked Toys R’ Us document says at least two more movies are in the works.
Current possible titles include:
- Transformers: Last Stand
- Transformers: Apocalypse
- Transformers: Age of Extinction
The site says that the same brand protection agency that registered the Website for Transformers: Dark Of The Moon has also registered the names for the first three items on the list. MarkMonitor, the registrar, appears to have secured the domains roughly at the same time.
The Age of Extinction branding may have a little more oomph behind its rumors since Hasbro has applied for trademarks related to that name. Even if it isn’t the name of the film itself, the title definitely rings a lot of familiar bells for Dinobots fans.
Not only does the Age of Extinction call to mind Earth’s dinosaurs, but it harkens to the civil war the prior movies have hinted at taking place on the Cybertron home world. In the cannon, the Dinobots played a significant role in the battle over the planet up until it’s destruction.
Transformers 4, aptly subtitled, will reach theaters on June 27, 2014.
Seb Lautmeyer is Senior Dinobot analyst and a major Transformers geek who blogs regularly for Dinobots.com. Tune in there to stay updated on all the latest Dinobots news and rumors.