Kim Kardashian has spoken out about the backlash she got for putting out an eBay auction that promised to donate 10% of profits to the Philippines typhoon victims, hitting back at critics for assuming that the remaining 90% went into her pocket.
In a new blog post called Giving Comes From The Heart, Kim claims she never pockets the majority of the profits:
I do eBay auctions monthly and change the charity or church from time to time. I give 10% of all my earnings to charities, not just these eBay auctions. This month it’s for the people of the Philippines, last month was Life Change Community Church.
In regards to these eBay auctions, when the eBay numbers get broken down, the auction management agency that posts for me gets a percentage for all of their hard work, then eBay listing fees, end of auction fees, eBay Store fees, Paypal fees, etc., all add up to about half of the sale. Then I give 10% to a charity.
She also says she was hurt by the supposed ignorant criticism, and even though she has developed a ‘thick skin’ against the negative media around her, this one about charity shook her:
The problem comes in when I get attacked for giving and trying to help people. My dad always taught me the importance of giving back. I don’t publicize everything I do to help charities and people all over the world. I do it because I want to. I do it because my dad taught me to. I do it because it’s the right thing to do. So for people to attack me for giving 10% of my eBay auction sales to the people of the Philippines, that hurts.
‘Over the last 5+ years, I have listed thousands of items on eBay Giving Works for various causes. I will continue to do what is in my heart,’ she adds.