Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of a suspected drug overdose in his Manhattan, New York apartment on Sunday.
According to NYPD, the Oscar-winning actor was found by a personal assistant in the bathroom of his apartment in his underwear … with a needle stuck to his arm. According to The New York Post, cops found heroin in the apartment.
Details surrounding his death are still unclear, but what is well-known is the fact that Hoffman struggled with a serious drug problem while in his twenties and last year, he checked into rehab for substance abuse that went from prescription pills to heroin.
The actor had been sober for more than 2 decades before his 2013 relapse.
Philip Seymour Hoffman won an Oscar in 2005 for his role in the movie Capote and was nominated for this year’s Academy Awards for Best Supporting Actor for his 2012 movie The Masters.
His most recent public appearance was at the Sundance Film Festival in January 19th … and his most recent movie role was in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
Hoffman’s family has released a statement:
We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone.
This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving,” adds the statement.
Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.
He leaves behind three children. He was 46.