A little cigarette-smoking pigeon caused a rooftop fire on a London apartment building so intense that firefighters were forced to evacuate the building.
According to local reports, it took four fire engines and 21 firefighters to put off the blaze … and the London Fire Brigade put the blame squarely on the pigeon who was carrying a lit cigarette in its mouth.
‘The smoking gun [LOL] was found when we discovered a partially burnt birds nest,’ LFB investigator Matt Cullen told the BBC. ‘When we got up into the roof, we were baffled as there were no obvious ignition sources. No one had been up to there for a long time and there were no electrics that could have sparked a blaze. Neighbors told us they often saw birds flying in and out of a hole in the roof.’
‘We believe that one of the birds picked up a cigarette butt that was still smouldering and dropped it into the nest, causing it to catch fire and set the roof alight,’ Cullen added.
In all, nine people were evacuated from the burning building … and the smoking pigeon also got away unhurt together with its family.
This is the second time in two years that a smoking pigeon has caused major apartment fires in London. In the beginning of ast year, firefighters reported that a smoking pigeon caused a fire by dropping a lit cigarette down a chimney.
[Photo: London Fire Brigade]