It has emerged that Peaches Geldof died of an apparent heroin overdose.
A toxicology test carried out on the British personality’s body showed that there was heroin in her system at the time of her death. An earlier autopsy result was inconclusive.
‘Recent use of heroin and the levels identified were likely to have played a role in her death,’ Detective Chief Inspector Paul Fotheringham told a hearing in Gravesend Thursday.
It is worthy to note that Geldorf’s mum Paula Yates died of an accidental heroin overdose in 2000 – when she was still 11-years old. Geldorf’s final tweet was a photo of her as a child in her mother’s arms with the caption, ‘Me and my mum.’
From The Times:
Police discovered no evidence of drugs paraphernalia in the house, leading to speculation that items may have been removed before the property was searched. Roger Hatch, the coroner, waited for results of the toxicology tests to determine if Ms Geldof had died of an overdose before deciding to open an inquest after a post-mortem examination failed to establish the cause of death.
The results will be announced by Detective Chief Inspector Paul Fotheringham during a brief hearing in Gravesend, Kent, this afternoon. Police used drugs sniffer dogs during the search of the house and examined the contents of rubbish bags.
Mr Hatch, the coroner for northwest Kent, will adjourn the inquest until the end of July to ensure that Ms Geldof’s husband Thomas Cohen, a rock singer, and her father Bob Geldof, the former singer of The Boomtown Rats and founder of Live Aid, are able to attend the full hearing.
What happened to the usual items used when smoking or injecting heroin is likely to be a focus of the on-going investigation. It is not known who supplied the young mother with the drugs.
Peaches Geldof was found dead in her apartment April 7 by her husband. She left behind two sons.
She was 25.
[Photo: Rex Features, Instagram]