Donald Trump says he will sue Univision for ‘hundreds of millions of dollars’ because the network dropped his show Miss USA over his comment about Mexicans.
On Thursday, the Spanish language broadcaster announced in a statement that they will no longer air Miss USA or have anything to do with Trump because the Republican presidential candidate called Mexicans in the US ‘drug dealers’ and ‘rapists’ while criticizing the trade deal between the US and Mexico during his announcement speech last week. The network called Trump’s remarks ‘insulting’ to the Mexican immigrants.
But in response, Trump wrote on Twitter, ‘Mexican gov doesn’t want me talking about terrible border situation & horrible trade deals. Forcing Univision to get me to stop- no way!’
‘Univision wants to back out of signed @MissUniverse contract because I exposed the terrible trade deals that the U.S. makes with Mexico,’ he continued. ‘I love Mexico but not the unfair trade deals that the US so stupidly makes with them. Really bad for US jobs, only good for Mexico.’
The 69-year old later spoke to Fox News, saying that ‘I’m going to have to sue Univision now… They have a signed contract.’ This contract, according to TMZ, was signed in January and is iron-clad. It expires in five years.
Trump further told TMZ that Univison has no legal right to back down from airing Miss USA based on his comments, saying that the network will now have to pay him ‘hundreds of millions of dollars’.
Trump also said Univision kinda apologized for pulling the plug, saying that they were put under pressure by the backlash generated by his comments and pleading that he either stop taking about Mexican people or at least, say more positive things about them.
Miss USA was scheduled to air on July 13.